FORMULA 1: CONFESSIONS OF A David Coulthard-FAN




I probably should be shamed to admit that I started to watch and follow F1 after Ayrton Senna's tragical death at Imola in 1994. Before that I had never seen a single race, I knew absolutely nothing about the sport. And yet I knew that Ayrton was something special, maybe even something larger than life. Honestly I was shocked about his death, I couldn't believe he had died...
 
I've been trying to figure out just WHY did I start following the sport. People say that who became fans of F1 after Imola 94, are watching races hoping to see accidents. But I don't watch F1-races because I hope to see accidents. In fact, I'm always really concerned and hope nothing bad would happen. Maybe I started to watch races because I wanted to know what is so great about this sport... Why do these men want to risk their lives for it?
 
So, I hear you asking how come a patriotic Finn can have a crazy Scot as a favorite driver? Well, my first favorite driver ever was Mika Häkkinen, naturally. But I was always supporting the Williams drivers Damon Hill and David as well, because I simply couldn't stand Michael Schumacher! And when I heard at the end of the season 1995 that David would be driving for McLaren next year, I just couldn't believe it. My two favorite drivers in the same team! I thought I was in heaven. But I was so wrong...
Then, in November 1995, Mika had the terrible accident at the track of Adelaide. Once again I was shocked, this time probably more than ever. After all, Mika is a fellow Finn... Luckily he survived, then recovered and was driving again when the season 1996 started at Melbourne.
 
When I look back, it's really difficult for me to say just when did David become my biggest favourite. I guess it was before the beginning of the season 1996, at least at spring 1996 I already was a big fan of DC's! And ever since I have been supporting him, not Mika (well of course I'm always hoping the best for McLaren!)
 
The Finnish press and media never say anything positive about DC. They are always giving him a hard time, especially when he's doing better than Mika. If DC sometimes dares to be faster than Mika… Eg after the French GP 2000 (which DC happened to win) the press kept saying how the ‘new’ David, his new aggression and attitude was disgusting. I rest my case!! Finnish F1-reporters could someday take an eye in their hand and take a look around…
 
I must admit that my thoughts and feelings about Mika have got more and more negative since August 1999. What happened at Spa, the way Mika behaved after David had won the race... well it made me 'a bit' angry. Mika is the worst loser in the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment